Bangladesh won a super exciting cricket match against Sri Lanka in the 2023 World Cup on Monday. The game was full of ups and downs, with both teams playing really well. But there was a strange moment in the 25th over that everyone is talking about. Angelo Mathews from Sri Lanka got out in a way that has never happened before in international cricket – he was ‘timed out.’ This unique dismissal caused a lot of arguments and discussions, taking attention away from Bangladesh’s awesome win.
Bangladesh’s Solid Start and Early Setbacks for Sri Lanka
In the cricket match, Bangladesh decided to bat first after winning the coin toss. They wanted to score a challenging total for Sri Lanka to chase. The beginning was strong for Bangladesh, thanks to their openers Najmul Hossain Shanto and Shakib Al Hasan.
These two players formed a really good partnership, scoring a total of 169 runs together. They helped Bangladesh stabilize their innings and score points steadily. Sri Lanka’s bowlers had a hard time stopping Shanto and Hasan, except for Lahiru Kumara, who managed to take two wickets. However, once Shanto and Hasan were out, Bangladesh’s middle-order batsmen faced difficulties, and they lost wickets quickly.
Despite this, Bangladesh finished with a competitive score of 282/7 in the 50 overs they played.
“Sri Lanka Faces Early Challenges, Asalanka’s Resilient Batting Shines”
The Controversial Dismissal of Angelo Mathews
Masum Ahmed (2/40) and Hasan Mahmood (2/48) were the pick of the bowlers for Bangladesh, picking up two wickets each.
Bangladesh’s Victory and Sri Lanka’s Elimination
Bangladesh’s victory was a thrilling one, and it secured their place in the semi-finals of the Cricket World Cup 2023. Sri Lanka, on the other hand, were eliminated from the tournament following their defeat.
The match was a dramatic and memorable one, and it will be remembered for years to come. However, the controversial dismissal of Mathews will likely overshadow Bangladesh’s victory and leave a sour taste in the mouths of many cricket fans.
Match Summary: Bangladesh vs. Sri Lanka
- Bangladesh Innings (282/7):Top Performers:
- Najmul Hossain Shanto played a pivotal role, scoring 90 runs.
- Shakib Al Hasan contributed significantly with a well-played 82 runs.
- Bowling Resistance: Lahiru Kumara managed to pick up 2 wickets for Sri Lanka, finishing with figures of 2/50.
- Sri Lanka Innings (279/10):
- Charith Asalanka’s Heroic Knock:
- Charith Asalanka showcased incredible resilience with an unbeaten century, scoring 108* runs.
- Wanindu Hasaranga supported with a valuable 37 runs.
- Bowling Impact: Bangladesh’s bowlers Masum Ahmed and Hasan Mahmood each took 2 wickets, with figures of 2/40 and 2/48, respectively.
- Charith Asalanka’s Heroic Knock:
- Result: Bangladesh Won by 3 Wickets:Bangladesh successfully chased down the target, securing a thrilling victory by 3 wickets.
- Key Moment – Controversial Dismissal:Angelo Mathews was controversially dismissed for being “timed out” in the 46th over, sparking debates about the fairness of such a rare dismissal.
- Man of the Match: Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh):Shakib Al Hasan was awarded the Man of the Match for his impactful all-round performance, contributing significantly with the bat and playing a crucial role in Bangladesh’s victory.
- Crucial Partnership:Asalanka and Hasaranga’s partnership of 88 runs for the fifth wicket brought Sri Lanka back into contention after early setbacks.
- Bowling Resilience:Despite the late flurry of wickets in the Bangladesh innings, Sri Lanka’s bowlers struggled to contain Shanto and Hasan, with only Lahiru Kumara managing to pick up crucial wickets.
- Twists and Turns:The match featured several twists and turns, showcasing the unpredictable nature of cricket and the determination displayed by both teams.
- Memorable Cricket Encounter:The game will be remembered for its dramatic moments, from the solid opening partnership to Asalanka’s heroic innings and the controversial dismissal, making it a memorable cricket encounter.
- Team Effort:
- Both teams exhibited commendable efforts, highlighting the competitive spirit and excitement that cricket fans cherish.
In the end, Bangladesh won a really exciting cricket match against Sri Lanka, but there’s a big discussion about how Angelo Mathews got out. He was dismissed in a way that doesn’t happen often, called “timed out.” This made a lot of people argue about whether it was fair or not. Even though Bangladesh celebrated their win, the way Mathews got out made the match even more interesting, with everyone talking about it. Cricket is full of surprises, and this match definitely had its share of drama!